What materials makes a Swift garden room feel so solid and reassuringly permanent? What is the difference between a Swift building and cheaper versions that look similar?
Simple… we use only the best materials in the fabrication of your “detached-extension.” The same attention to detail that we devote to a nursery school or house extension, as well as our investment in tested and certified products, is also devoted to your garden room.
“Martin and his team were fantastic throughout and we would highly recommend this product to anyone thinking about adding space to their property.”
G & GG, Cheshire
SIP panels, when cut to size, properly jointed and expertly installed, create one of the most highly efficient and robust structures presently available. They exceed all current building regulations for heat insulation, air-tightness and structural loadings, as well as lowering the time spent on site creating your garden room.
- Concrete Slab: This involves the greatest amount of preparation time as there has to be considerable excavation and then backfilling with hardcore, insulation and sometimes steel reinforcement. It can be used where ground conditions are particularly poor, where we’re seeking to maximise internal ceiling height where roof height is limited, or for buildings where there is particularly heavy stresses and loadings placed upon the floor.
- Concrete Pads: still using the strength of concrete, but isolated to a series of support points under the building. The floor of the building would then be constructed from SIP panels within a treated timber ring beam. This is much less invasive than a complete concrete slab and can typically be completed on the first day of installation.
- Jackpad Footings: A pre-prepared system that, similar to the concrete pads, provides support under specific points beneath the building and has adjustable mountings to simplify the process. Sometimes preferred for less level sites and where access is limited.
The outer face of your building is clad in a range of finishes to suit your preferences, the design of the building and the setting. Western red cedar is a great choice, providing a beautiful smooth finish that, left untreated will turn to a silver-grey colour over the years, and will require virtually no maintenance. This wood can last up to 50 years and even then can be replaced in a straightforward process without damaging the structure of your garden room. Other choices can be alternative timbers, render, raised seam steel sheet and stone or slate cladding. We discuss the look that you foresee and we create something that matches an image that you already have, or even create a totally bespoke appearance. Why not?
A popular addition on flat or slightly sloping roofs are sedum roofs. They demand a stronger roof structure due to the additional weight, and also add height which becomes relevant in some cases when building under Permitted Development Rights. A lighter weight and slimmer alternative that we introduced to the market some years ago, is the use of artificial grass which gives a softer appearance with less cost and added conditions.
We can also include roof lights and openings.
Windows and Doors
Structural glazing involves the dominant use of glass in areas that are intrinsic to the strength and main fabric of the building. For example, a large section of the wall can be replaced by glass panels. It can create fabulous-looking design features and brings the connection between the garden room and the garden into focus. We’re able to incorporate such aspects of design and materials into your project which demonstrates our flexible and imaginative approach to design and installation.
The garden room itself has its own small consumer unit which splits the power supply to the main demand circuits. The actual fittings are another area of choice for you. As standard we use attractive, brushed chrome sockets, light switches and recessed down-lighters.
Our LED down-lighters are a great example of the attention to detail that makes your room more enjoyable. Our standard light is a very high quality, slimline unit with a 7 year warranty and smooth on-off transition, as well as being fully dimmable. Additional, matching outside lighting is a common feature in our designs. Other electrical installation materials can include:
- Under-floor heating or wall mounted radiators
- Special lighting features both inside and out
- Remote control for the switching of lights and other features
- Air conditioning/Climate control
- Built-in sound and entertainment systems
- Water heater/cooler, kitchen appliances, showers
We work with people who are experts in these hi-tech areas and are able to create the comfort, drama and sophistication that you dream of in your new garden space.
“The guys were so incredibly hard working, the materials, fit and finish fantastic and the final building is beyond my wildest dreams.”
Swift’s whole approach is to enable you to have the building that you dream of, therefore an intrinsic part of this is our flexible and solution-focused approach that helps you to specify and equip your building to just how you want it.
So, whether it’s something as dramatic as a stained glass roof panel or as simple as a particular finish on the light switches and sockets, we’re pleased to be able to help you. Clients may like these ideas based upon materials choices made by existing client’s and some fresh thoughts:
- Bespoke stained glass panels
- Integral window blinds
- Feature panels of glazed tiles, treated metal, special hardwoods or artwork materials
- Instant hot/chilled water tap for refreshments
- Sedum roofs, synthetic grass roofs and roof-lights
- Additional lighting effects both inside and outside
- Interior design services
- Landscaping services
- Inside – outside floor surfaces including tiling, natural stone, resin floors
- Water features
Perhaps we can’t always think of everything, but maybe you can!
“The anodized aluminium window and door frames are of top quality and the treated cedar-wood cladding is highly attractive and rot-resistant.”
Prof DW, Hale
Just like a new house, we provide a 10-year structural warranty against material defect and faulty workmanship.
This is backed by an insurance policy to safeguard against the possibility of Swift not being able to fulfil its obligations through liquidation.
The same insurance policy also protects your deposit that is paid upon confirmation of your order, against loss through liquidation. This is always comforting for you to know and all part of our customer-focused package.